To meet the sunrise on a mountain of love or to see the sunset on the mountain Shaman, to gain strength from the mountain Penance or wisdom- from the hill of the Mind - all this activities can be done in the Chelyabinsk region - at Historical and Cultural Reserve Arkaim.
Many people consider this magical spot as a place where the spiritual changes happen.
The site was discovered by chance in 1987 by a team of Chelyabinsk scientists who were preparing the area to be flooded in order to create a reservoir, and examined in rescue excavations led by Gennadii Zdanovich. One of the students decided to cross the field by plane. From the bird's eye view he saw two circles - one inside the other.
The government made a decision not to flood the place. The site is generally dated to the 17th century BC. Earlier dates, up to the 20th century BC, have been proposed. It was a settlement of the Sintashta-Petrovka culture.
The scientists discovered amazing facts: there were four entrances into the settlement through the outer and inner wall with the main entrance to the west. They were orientated according to the key provisions of the sun during the equinoxes and solstices. Surrounding Arkaim's walls, were arable fields, irrigated by a system of canals and ditches. Remains of millet and barley seeds were found.
Since its discovery Arkaim has attracted public and media attention in Russia, from a broad range of the population, including esoteric, New Age and pseudoscientific organizations. It is said to be the most enigmatic archaeological site within the territory of Russia, and as with many archaeological discoveries, many conflicting interpretations have been put forward.
1. Natural and Historic Center is located at the territory of 20 thousand square meters, about the half of the area are archaeological excavations.
2. Pilgrimage to the Arkaim began in 1991, officially city was open for tourist in 1996. Each year the reserve attracts around 30 thousand people. Best time to visit – from May to September.
3. In addition to hiking trails and museums, you can learn the basics of Arkaim cane braiding, pottery, folk dolls and manufacture of stone tools in ancient times.
4. In 2010 the Chelyabinsk governor Mikhail Yurevich allocated funds to establish an electronic database of accounting objects and collections with their detailed descriptions and photos.
5. In May 2005 the site was visited by then-President Vladimir Putin.
Address: Chelyabinsk region, Bredinskij district, river Big Karaganka.
HOW TO GET THERE BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
There is a special bus Chelyabinsk – Arkaim – Chelyabinsk. Road time – 8 hours.
Train: Bredy station, then take a bus Bredy – Magnotogors till the sigh «turn to Arkaim»