The Central Park of Culture and Rest is named after the world's first astronaut Yuri Gagarin, and is one of the most popular family attractions in Chelyabinsk, and also one of the best parks in Russia.
Fresh air, relict pines, comfort and cleanliness attract here thousands of visitors every day. Everyone can find the right activity for themselves here: leisurely walking or riding a bike, having fun on roller skates or a visit to the children's village «Gulliver».
There are places for honeymooners and lovers: a fountain with two white swans, rotunda and the «island of love». The path to the point is covered with locks that brides and grooms set in honor of the eternity of their feelings.
There is an area for active recreation including indoor tennis courts, a paintball field, karting, chess club, skates rental, bicycles, catamarans, and one of the few Russian extreme trails – «Forest extreme». In winter visitors can enjoy skating rink, skis and sleds, warm and cozy cafes, and an ice town with quaint figures and slides. The children's railway is also a famous park amusement - all staff in trains are teenagers.
Sometimes Gagarin Park is the scene for citywide celebrations and sport events, concerts, lectures, discussions, drafts and chess tournaments, regional festivals of folk art or reeactments of historical events.
The park is located in the city center and is open every day all year round. You can get to it from any Chelyabinsk district.
1. The park was established in 1936 in the Chelyabinsk forest area. It occupies 1200 hectares.
2. The park was awarded the name of the USSR Hero Yuri Gagarin in 1962, following to the decision of the Government to rename the top enterprises in the country in honor of the first man in space.
3. In 1971, the Central Park of Culture and Rest, Yuri Gagarin was named the best in the USSR and won the highest award in the National competition.
4. From 2001 to 2008 the park was under extensive renovation. It was updated with a modern look and new attractions and landscaped areas.
5. In 2007 the Gagarin park was given a status of «Specially protected natural area of local importance - a monument of landscape architecture».
HOW TO GET THERE BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
Buses: 4, 11, 15, 81
Trolleybuses: 1, 7, 8, 10, 13, 19, 22,
Route taxis: МТ: 3, 4, 4A, 5, 6, 7, 8, 18, 27, 33, 44, 54, 59, 61, 68А, 70, 76, 80, 83, 86, 99.